One crazy day at a time...my life!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What I did this weekend

We had a long weekend because of Victoria Day!  So I decided to do the same thing that all Canadians (the ones who aren't floating away because of the floods) were doing this last weekend. 

I planted my flowers and some veggies to replace the plants I killed last week by transplanting outside too early.

I don't usually pick red, orange, and yellow as my color of choice for flowers, but this year I decided to walk on the wild side. 

What do you think?


Since most of the sun we get is in the front of the house, I decided to plant some tomato plants under our tree with the flowers.  It's unconventional, but I think they'll do really well!

This planter will fill up.  The flowers I picked are vines, and dangly flowers that just explode and take over everything eventually!  The only thing I'm missing is a central plant that has some height.  I still need to find that one...they didn't have anything at the greenhouse I checked.

Most of these are prennials and come back every year.  They were planted by the previous owners of our house.  They do the job, but they look prettier later on in the year when they're all blooming!

Another view of my mostly perennials along with some annuals.


The good thing is that these flowers (including the 2 hanging baskets in my backyard) only cost me $60 which is a lot better than the $150 I spent on flowers and flower stuff last year!

So now that my flower beds are all pretty, I can't wait for my veggies to start coming in!  I'm not the most patient person around when it comes to growing stuff so every day I'm in the backyard checking to see if my green onions have finally decided to make an appearance.

Another time, I'll take you guys on a tour of the backyard and my millions of planters with veggies.  Because of the soil content of our backyard, Dre and I decided to plant 90% of our veggies in planter pots and boxes this year.  We'll have to see if that was a good idea or not. 

The rest of the weekend was spent helping my brother move.  Dre had to use lots of muscles for that since they were moving washer, dryer, fridge, stove, and all the heavy stuff a house has.  So needless to say that when we got back home on Sunday night we were exhausted! 

On Monday, we went to a BBQ hosted by one of our friends.  They were trying to fix up 2 people they know.  I don't know if it worked, but it was quite obvious that that might have been their intention as everyone else that was there was part of a serious dating relationship or married.  Anyways, everyone had a great time!  It was the perfect end to a long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment