One crazy day at a time...my life!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Dopplers are awesome and some other stuff

***I’ll do my weekly update tomorrow I promise!  I forgot to ask Dre to take a picture so I’m going to do that tonight.***

I still love this one! 
I'm thinking of putting this as my profile picture on FB next week to see how many people will catch on.
I had my second doctor’s appointment yesterday.  It went very well which is a relief since for this appointment I am 11 weeks which is the same as I was for the last pregnancy.  This is also the appointment that started to clue us in to the fact that there might be a problem last time around.

Dre came and to get me at work which is so nice of him.  I don’t mind taking the bus, but I’ve been having a hard time since I got pregnant as it seems to increase my nausea.  When I got to the doctor’s office, we registered and I waited for the nurse to weigh me, take my blood pressure, and have me pee in a cup.

One of the nurses walks over to me and asks me if this is a new pregnancy.  I said, “No.” since this was not a new pregnancy…it’s a pregnancy that’s already been confirmed by the doctor and this is my follow-up appointment.  So we keep waiting and another nurse brings us to the doctor’s office to wait for her.  By this time, I realize that the nurses here are apparently clueless or they don’t read my chart which is troubling (This is not the first time I’ve had strange comments from the nurses…last time after I’d had a confirmed missed miscarriage once of the nurses was trying to work me up as if I was still pregnant.  I had to tell her I’d had a miscarriage even though it was in my chart.).  

Dre gets up and goes to tell the nurses that while this is not a “new” pregnancy it is a pregnancy and don’t they want to do the blood pressure and weighing stuff.  Now they’re all confused!  They thought I miscarried earlier this year.  So Dre has to tell them that I miscarried early this year and am now pregnant again.  (This is where you’d think they would have seen this in my chart.)  So the nurse comes and gets me and does all my stuff.  Let me just say that while I don’t expect the nurses to remember me all the time that there are only 3 nurses at this doctor’s office and that the one who asked me if it was a new pregnancy is the one who confirmed my pregnancy the first time around.

Anyways, now I’m stuck with the nurse who I don’t like at all to do my blood pressure stuff.  Last time I was pregnant, she noticed that I was in her sister’s prenatal class and mentioned it to me since she recognized me.  Then she told me I lost weight which is fine, but her tone made it seem like I was trying to do it on purpose.  Nice, eh?  Anyways, we had the miscarriage confirmed and I went to my doc’s office about 5-6 times in the next 3 weeks.  Every single time she saw me she went the other way or tried to avoid eye contact…never said another word to me.  Things like this just rub me the wrong way.  I expect a medical professional to acknowledge that sometimes pregnancies end in miscarriage and not act like a teen around a difficult issue.  There’s all kinds of people I guess…they make the world go round apparently.  So this time she weighs me, goes to write it down, and then weighs me again as if she can’t believe that I lost 4lbs (according to their scale).  Ugh!  It’s a good thing I really like my doctor.

After all of this happens, we go in to see the doctor.  We discussed a few of my questions and she confirmed that since neither Dre or I are deathly allergic to peanuts (fatal allergies on both sides of the family) that I should be able to eat peanut butter all through my pregnancy and that there is no limit to the amount of ginger that I can ingest in one day.  Also, Dre asked about sex.  Hehe!  Poor guy wants to make sure the baby is all safe in thereJ

Then we got to hear the baby’s heartbeat on Doppler!  Yeah!  At first, she had some trouble finding it which stressed me out.  I have a retroverted uterus and that makes the HB harder to find in the early stages, but she found it pretty quickly after all.  It was between 168-174 BPM which is great for an 11 week baby.  She did tell me it would slow down to100-150 as he or she grows which is normal.  I’m glad she told me that since I’d never heard that before.

This all means that I feel like I can safely tell everyone now!  Of course, Dre wants to run around and announce it to everyone which is his style, but it isn’t mine.  So, I need to tell my boss at work first, but that stresses me out because I don’t like having those kinds of conversations.  I have a great boss, but I spent 4 years in my job where he was co-worker and when my old boss retired 6 months ago they restructured my position to report to him which is sometimes awkward.  So I think I’ll tell him tomorrow before I leave for my 10 day vacation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment