One crazy day at a time...my life!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Plants are taking over!

I’ve been a little slow at updating this blog lately.  Mostly because of the fact that I’m not feeling too well and that doesn’t seem to motivate me to find stuff to post about.

So I’ve decided to show all of you how the veggies and flowers are doing.  When I planted this stuff at the end of May, I thought I might not have put enough stuff to fill all the flower beds and vegetable planters.  Bahahahhahaha!  It’s been really hot and humid for the past month with virtually no rain so we have to water twice a day.  All the plants are reacting to the sun, heat, and humidity as if they’re jungle plants.  They’ve all gotten huge!


These are my 2 huge mutant tomato plants.

This is 5 tomato plants.  This spot usually gets tons of sun, but this year my tree has more leaves so they didn't grow up.  Instead they spread horizontally.


I have 4 pots up there with tons of tomatoes.  You can't see them very well, but they're definitely doing well.
 Here are my flowers in the front.  They've gone wild too!

These plants were tiny when I planted them and now they're taking over everything!

You can't see that many flowers here, but a lot of them just bloom for 2-3 weeks and they all kind of take a turn. 
Very pretty!

I love these.  They're so gorgeous and full of color. 
Ignore the fact that my tomato plants are trying to invade them.

I didn't take any picture of all the veggies we have growing in the backyard.  I have another hanging tomato plant, lots of potatoes, onions, green onions, romaine lettuce, carrots, green beans, yellow beans, garlic, and cucumbers.  Of course, now that we're going on vacation our garden is producing like crazy and we don't know what to do with all the food.  It's a good problem to have!

Now, I have to figure out how we’ll keep all of these alive for the 10 days that we’re gone to the Maritimes.  My SIL has agreed to come and water every other day, but that’s not enough for the tomato plants.  They won’t make it.  I’m thinking of maybe buying plastic plates to put them on so that the water doesn’t all drain through the bottom holes, but some stays in the plate and the plants can use that water.  Also I think we’ll transfer all the planters to the backyard which gets less sun.  This isn’t ideal for tomato plants, but it should let the soil retain more of its moisture.

I also have to fertilize a lot of my plants.  In the last few days, it’s been 40-47C (104-117F) with the Humidex and they’re struggling so I’m going to give them a little boost.

Now I’m going home and starting my weekend in style.  No idea what style it is yet, but it will come to me.  Saturday, I have a girl’s day at one of my friend’s farms and if I remember to bring my camera this time I will take some pics of her gorgeous place.

No comments:

Post a Comment