One crazy day at a time...my life!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Today is the Day!


Dre and I are going to our first pre-natal class tonight!  Yeah!  I'm so excited! 

It just makes being pregnant feel more real and since we're still not telling 90% of the people we know for another 2 weeks I am super excited to do something that is all about pregnancy!  Run-on sentence anyone?  Oh well, University English was a long time ago:-)

Dre and I have gotten a lot of comments both online and IRL (in real life) that pre-natal classes are useless and you really don't need them...blah, blah, blah, blah.  I think that, yes, I probably know most the stuff they're going to talk about because I am addicted to researching every tiny thing on the Interwebz, but it never hurts to be reminded of something.  Also, I think that being as prepared as possible never hurt anyone.

I have heard the comment, "Women have been doing this thousands of years so I'm just going to go with the flow and assume that my body will know what to do." a hundred times already.  Honestly, my body most likely knows what to do, but I'm not sure my brain got the memo and Dre's brain probably lost the memo somewhere.  Also, in the past, women would give birth with other, older women around who would counsel and support them on what to do.  A lot of us don't have that support network anymore because so much emphasis in the world today is to push out that kid and go back to work!  I am no particularly close with my mother--yes, I love her, but she won't be in the delivery room with me--and most of my friends do not have children. 

All in all, I think that pre-natal classes will help us start dealing with the idea of having a small baby that cries and wakes you up at night and drives you crazy at times.  Although if you're listening to Dre, women have been doing this for thousands of years and it's the most beautiful thing in the world and a miracle of life.  Can you tell that I'm the cynical, sarcastic one?  Somehow, I don't equate pushing out an 8 pound bowling ball out of my whoha a magical experience.  I keep being told I'll change my mind once I have the baby and look at him or her, but somehow knowing myself I think I'm right on the money and won't ever think it's magical!

Alright, I'm done with my rabbit trails and tangents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment