One crazy day at a time...my life!

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Funny Kids


I asked my oldest nephew what he wanted for Christmas today.  His answer...an iPod.

I guess this generation of children is really different from our generation.  When I was eight, I wanted the latest Barbie and her awesome pink car!  Everything revolved around who had the coolest Barbies and accessories.  Yes, we had a computer, but back then we were still running stuff on the MS-Dos platform (not advanced at all) and the Internet hadn't come into our lives yet.

Today, my nephew wants a laptop, and iPod, or a 3DS (he has a DS already).  My 9 year old niece probably wants some similar things for Christmas...I just haven't asked her yet.  My 16 year old niece only wants cool stuff and never has any money so she's easy to buy for and my 5 year old nephew can amuse himself with a piece of paper and tape for hours. 

I think I understand what my aunts and uncles found difficult about buying us presents when we were kids.  I couldn't understand why they didn't know what was cool and what I would want for my birthday or Christmas.  Now I understand since I can't for the life of me figure out what to buy for nieces and nephews when birthdays and Christmas roll around. 

I'm guessing that getting them a lump of coal for their Christmas stocking isn't going to be popular so I'm just going to have to go back to the drawing board to figure out presents this year.  That or I'll start harassing SIL to give me ideas for them, but since she has to give ideas to all the grandparents and other relatives who want to buy the kids gifts it's not that easy.

One thing I do know...I'm not buying the nephew an iPod, or a laptop, or a 3DS...I'm way too cheap for that:-)  Plus, nephew seems to think that Santa brings iPods, laptops, and 3DS'.  If that's true, I've been sending my wishlists to the wrong person.  I need to start sending some ideas about a brand new Kobo or awesome Le Creuset dutch oven to the North Pole!

I do love seeing Christmas through the sheer joy that kids get from that holiday.  It's what makes Christmas magical!

No comments:

Post a Comment