One crazy day at a time...my life!

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Hospital Bag, Baby Classes, and Hospital Tours...Oh My!

Dre still wants to pack a hospital bag and keeps reminding me of this.

However my hospital bag is still not packed because I like to procrastinate.  I’ll probably be yelling the list to Dre as I go into labor instead of packing it early and having it in the car.  I’m sure he’ll love that!  I just can’t seem to find the energy to think of what needs to be in that bag and then actually pack it.

Dre has also decided to start obsessing about what happens if I go into labor while I’m at work.  It’s cute because I’ve been worried about that, but I didn’t know that he’d even thought about the possibility since I’ve never mentioned it to him.  He hasn’t seemed too worried about the labor part up until now.  When I asked him what he would do if there was a snowstorm when I go into labor, his answer was to gleefully rub his hands together and say “4 wheel drive.  Oh yeah!”  Men are so weird sometimes.

By the way, I have no idea what I’ll do if I go into labor at work since I take the bus to work and most of the people who drive into work are not people I want around me when I’m in pain.  I’ll figure it out eventually.

We had the 1st of 4 baby classes last night.  While it gave tons of useful information, the teacher (a registered nurse, lactation consultant, and doula) was the most boring person ever.  She read the slides and played videos without really getting our input about different things.  They went over a lot of the labor stuff and showed us this video of the baby’s head descending into the cervix and dilating the cervix about 8 or 9 times.  We also got to see several videos of women having the babies.  It was a little scaring.  I know what happens during labor, but I guess I don’t really want to see it in that much detail so I don’t freak myself out too much.  I’d rather get the tools I need to successfully handle pain and breastfeed.

We’ll have to see if these classes get more interesting in the coming weeks.  It’s disappointing because the 1st series of 3 classes had such an awesome nurse as a teacher.   Another disappointing thing is that they don’t actually let your tour the hospital’s (the course is in the hospital) labor and delivery floor.  That is just so weird!  Instead we have to attend an Information Night where they’ll show up pictures of the rooms and all that.  Ughhhhh!  I deal better with things when they aren’t unknown and not having seen where I’ll end up really won’t help my anxiety and stress levels.  Apparently the all-knowing hospital staff can’t figure out that pregnant women (especially first time moms) might have a lot of anxiety and stress.  

I’m off to get reimbursed for my yoga classes that I’m missing because of the baby classes also being on Tuesdays.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment